Saturday, February 19, 2011

Saturday Senses.

Making: Butternut Squash Cornmeal bread.
This is so good.
I'm not completely sure what to call it - it's not bread, and it's not cornbread. 
It's just good.

I just decided to throw ingredients together from a basic banana bread recipe from my recipe box.
1 cup butternut squash puree
2 eggs
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup olive oil
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup whole-wheat flour
3/4 cup of Cornmeal
1 tsp. baking soda
pinch of salt
Cinnamon
Nutmeg

Directions


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease one loaf pan.
2. Mix together the butternut squash puree, eggs, oil, water and sugars until thoroughly combined. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal,  baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
3. Stir the dry ingredients into the butternut squash mixture. Combine just until incorporated; do not over mix. Pour into the prepared pan.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. You might ned to check halfway through, I had to put foil over mine as it was already brown!

Butternut Squash Puree
1/2 butternut squash
3 tbsp. butter diced
1 tbsp. brown sugar
cinnamon
nutmeg
salt

Sprinkle the diced butter, sugar, spices and salt over the squash and roast for  45 minutes on 350 F.
Remove squash from oven, scoop out the flesh and puree in food processor or blender until creamy. 

Seeing: Sun shining and snow melting.
Hearing: Wind howling outside our windows.
Smelling: Bread baking in my oven.
Tasting:  Strawberry yogurt!
Feeling: Antsy, ready for yoga.
Reading: A new yummy food blog!
Loving: My job! God is so good.
Wishing: To visit my dad in WI.

8 comments:

Sharde said...

mm mm mm mm! this looks delicious. and so does everything else youve been posting about! just found your blog today and i love it!

come and visit me at thestyleprojects.blogspot.com

:)sharde

Ramsey said...

Ummmm yum! My lovie would adore this. With mayo on top because he's weird like that.

Elise said...

mayo! That's awesome! My husband's a miracle whip guy.. I'm not really in love with either!

Sarah Frills4Thrills said...

this looks sooo delicious!

Andrea Stevenson said...

Wow, that looks so delish! Thanks for the great recipe -lovin the blog
pics-o-andrea

two birds said...

keeping this recipe! i want it right now!

LiveLoveDressup said...

That looks absolutely YUMMY!!!

Pia said...

Mmmh that sounds so yummy!
I love to bake! I think I'll make scones today. I LOVE those.