Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Butternut Squash Lasagna

I love all thing butternut squash! It is one of my favorite ingredients to cook with!
I saw a recipe in my Pike Place Market cookbook for butternut squash lasagna with blue cheese and heavy cream, and I knew I had to create my own twist since blue cheese isn't very appealing to me. I came up with this!

Butternut Squash Ravioli with Spinach:


Ingredients: 

2 Cups Butternut Squash Puree* Recipe follows
1 1/2 Cups of Ricotta
6 Cups of Spinach chopped and blanched
Mozzarella Cheese
1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese
4 Strips of Turkey Bacon cooked
6 Lasagna Noodles cooked 
4 Fresh Sage Leaves chopped finely
Salt & Pepper

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a small pan with olive oil or butter. 
Mix ricotta, spinach, parmesan cheese, sage and salt and pepper together in a bowl
Spread a thin layer of butternut squash puree and layer 2-3 noodles on top, then spread ricotta mixture over the noodles. Start again with butternut squash, then the noodles, ricotta, butternut squash, and end with the noodles. Cover the top with mozzarella cheese and crumbled bacon pieces. Bake for 350 minutes or until cheese is golden brown. Serve with warm crusty bread!

My family loved this - they were very skeptical at first but after trying it, they each went back for more! 


*Butternut Squash Puree
1 Butternut Squash
Olive oil
Thyme
Rosemary
Salt 
Pepper
1/3 (maybe more)  cup Chicken Stock

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Cut butternut squash in half lengthwise and spread a generous amount of olive oil, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper. Roast for 30 mins or until very soft. Then just place in blender with chicken stock and puree.



No comments: