Monday, April 30, 2012

Why I blog

IMG_0337 IMG_0331 IMG_0335 IMG_0328 IMG_0323
Dress&belt: Fox House, Sweater: AE, Shoes: Blowfish, Necklace: Eddie Bauer

I've been thinking a lot lately about my blog, while it's almost a year old I only really started posting regularly in November. Two things changed in November: 1) Jamie and I celebrated a year of marriage, 2)We moved to Wisconsin.
Moving is always difficult. It's hard to start over, we are still in the starting process. While I have my loving family here, it's just the 5 of us. I need community, friends, people to share my life with. I need inspiration, encouragement and challenge. I need women to connect with, to teach me, learn from me and just to talk to. 
For generations, women have learned from each other, encouraged each other. Sharing recipes, cleaning tips, struggles and joys. Usually the women lived near each other. But that's not where I am right now. I am not living near women that have similar interests as me. I know it is not just Wisconsin, but it seems that most people I have met are solely career focused (which is fantastic! Just not where I am at), and creativity is not valued. 
I haven't found anyone that loves crafting, vegan/vegetarian recipes, knitting, serving and missional living or fashion. I have met a few Wisconsin bloggers that are completely darling - but never any real-life friends.
I started blogging to connect with you lovely ladies. To share happiness and pain with. To create community, outside of this small town. 
Why fashion? If you have been around here a little while, you've seen that my blog is mostly lifestyle fashion (different than high-fashion). And maybe those that know me are curious why such an emphasis on beauty? When I started reading fashion blogs a little while ago, they helped me remix my wardrobe, dress my body properly, and I found an awesome emphasis on modesty. Lifestyle fashion, while it can be challenging, is not only fun for me..I get dressed everyday so why not share? 
I started Dear Family, to connect with people, share stories, and encourage and I have. I have already met some very dear friends and am learning to enjoy this time with long-distance friends. 


I would love to hear your story.

Why do you blog? 

12 comments:

Brooke said...

Lovely post and wonderful outfit! Love the sweater c:

I just found your blog and really like it so I'm following :)

I started blogging because I felt that it would increase my writing skills but ended up taking me into a whole new place of music, skills, fashion, photography, and more importantly the people I met there.

xoxo
~Brooke {via The Dove Tree}

Melissa Blake said...

great question! I blog because I'm a writer and this is a great medium for me! Plus, I've met so many wonderful bloggers along the way!

Amanda said...

i stumbled upon your blog via cup of joe and so glad i did! what a great idea to talk about why to blog, after all it is the motivation behind our posts!

i recently started blogging to document our lives as a little family. i had a baby almost a year ago and it has been neat capturing the little moments that make our lives beautiful ones.

i, too, wish i could bike everywhere..... ;)

xo, amanda

http://mamawatters.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I blog for a couple of reasons. I like having a place to record my journey - it helps me to write down my thoughts about things. But... I really love the online community and the ability to connect with people who are in a similar "place" yet live geographically far away. I've enjoyed looking at your blog, Elise. I'll be praying you find some face-to-face friends there in Wisconsin.
LaRae

Anonymous said...

Lovely outfit, the blue really suits you.
I blog to express, sometimes in the wider world it feels like no one is listening but my blog gives me my voice. Blogging, why not blog ? (:

Carissa | Eskimo Kisses said...

I love this post!
I blog because I love to connect with other bloggers, but also to document my life. I would still remember events in my life but my blog reminds me how I felt that day. (And it makes me take more pictures.) my blog is also a good place to show my creativity :)

Deliciously Yours said...

I started blogging for a creative outlet, but have LOVED getting to know fellow bloggers around the world, such as yourself! :)

Unknown said...

Great thoughts on the purpose of blogging for you. Very cool! Also, love your maxi. Bet it could go with darn near everything! Xoxo www.rubygirlblog.com

Sarah said...

I completely agree with you. I've lived in Wisconsin for a good chunk of my life and none of my real life friends here blog. I started my blog as a creative outlet since there wasn't a lot of other opportunities for it. I think a part of it is Wisconsin. Sometimes it feels like creativity - at least in the blogger sense - isn't really encouraged or given the change to grow. Not a lot of my real life friends know I blog since I normally get some strange looks and questions. But I blog because I love it and I love the inspiration you can find from other bloggers!

MJ said...

same reason you do :)
stuck at home over the winter with a preemie baby (3 months early) due to flu season. needed an outlet to share my creativity, cooking, photography, scrapbooking, sewing etc.. just getting started =)

www.allthingsmumsnbubs.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I blog because it's the only thing that helps me live with the choices I've made in life.

kellichristinecase said...

i have no clue if or what church you go to but you should seriously consider finding an lds church if for nothing else to meet the women of the relief society.

the crafting, vegan, knitting, serving, fashion, it is all there in the relief society. it is the largest and oldest women's organization in the world. and the best part, it is focused entirely on serving others. so-o up your alley!